Gout appears to come on suddenly, often in the form of a painfully swollen big toe or lower body joint. In reality however, it’s the end result of a process that’s been taking place in your body for a while.
Gout is the result of excess uric acid in the body, a condition called hyperuricemia.
Uric acid is a substance that normally forms when the body breaks down purines, which are found in human cells and in many foods (especially meat). Uric acid is transported by the blood to the kidneys and eliminated in the urine. However, some people either overproduce uric acid or they produce a normal amount, but their kidneys can’t process it efficiently and an excess of uric acid builds up. Some, but not all, of those people may develop gout.
Lifestyle factors, such as a diet high in certain high-purine foods, obesity and excessive alcohol use – especially heavy beer consumption – also can contribute to development of hyperuricemia and gout, most commonly in Men.
Medical or health triggers of gout:
- Joint injury
- Surgery or sudden, severe illness
- Taking certain diuretic medications for high blood pressure, leg swelling (edema) or heart failure
Lifestyle triggers of gout:
- Crash diets and fasting
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Eating large portions of certain foods high in purines (red meats or shellfish
Making Smart Meat Choices If You Have Gout
If you have gout, then changing your diet and making smarter meat choices to help lower uric acid levels can have a big impact.
Some meats are high in purines, so read below for the smart choices.
Avoid if Possible
- Organ Meats – liver, kidney, heart, sweetbreads, tripe, brain and tongue
- Fish/Seafood – anchovies, herring, mackerel, sardines, whitebait, trout, scallops, fish roe, caviar, crayfish, lobster
- Meat-based Liquids – gravies, broth, consumes, bouillon
- Oysters, Mussels, and Most Other Shellfish, Prawns
If you are unsure about any of this information, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
If you would like to schedule a FREE 30-minute consultation with me, just give me a call on 9365 7033 . I will share my 30 years experience in the fitness industry with you to help ensure that you see the results you want to see.
Yours in health,
About the Author:
Dirk Hansen has been a Health & Wellness professional Presenter and Writer for over 30 years, featuring both in Australia and the USA.
You can learn more about us and what we do by calling 9365 7033 or visiting or website at http://www.dirkshealth.com.au/.